Your Guide to Ground Only Challenges
When you book an overseas challenge with Global Adventure Challenges, return flights are usually included. However, if you’re looking to extend your adventure by staying in-country for a few days longer or to fly from your nearest airport, we can switch you over to a ground only booking.
Booking with us on a ground only basis means that we won’t book your flights as part of your challenge. The cost we would usually pay for your flights is deducted from your challenge balance (or minimum sponsorship), and you’ll be responsible for booking your own travel to and from the challenge destination.
You will also be responsible for getting yourself to the pre-agreed meeting point at the challenge destination to meet up with the rest of the group, at which our responsibilites will commence.
Why travel on a ground only basis?
If you’d like to spend a little more time in the country of your challenge and continue exploring, you’re free to! Alternatively, you may want to arrive at your destination a few days early – the choice is yours.
2. Fly from a regional airport
We book flights for each challenge as a group rather than on an individual basis, which means that most of our overseas challenges will include flights departing from a London airport. This ensures that the departure airport is as accessible as possible for everyone taking part, but also allows us to keep the cost of your challenge as low as possible.
We understand that getting to London may not be convenient for everyone, so choosing the ground only option means you can book flights from your nearest airport instead!
3. Customise your experience
By booking your own flights, you can customise your airport experience. Whether you want to skip the lines at the gate and pre-book priority boarding, beat the queues at security, or just relax in the lounge before you set off on your adventure, you can tailor your experience.
4. You could save money
By booking directly with an airline, you may be able to take advantage of any deals or special offers that aren’t available to us as a tour operator.
Are there any risks to booking a ground only challenge?
- As a general rule, we recommend that you purchase your flight approximately 12 weeks before departure of the challenge. However, before you book flights you must contact us to confirm that your challenge has recruited the minimum number of participants needed to proceed. If you don't, we will not be liable for any money lost from flight costs, accommodation costs and any other associated costs you could incur.
- If we have to cancel your challenge as a result of a Force Majeure Event, we will not be liable for any money lost from flight costs, accommodation costs, and any other associated costs.
- You will be responsible for getting yourself to the pre-agreed meeting point at the challenge destination, in time to join the rest of the group. If your connecting flight is delayed or cancelled we will always do our best to help, but unfortunately, we would not be able to rearrange your flights for you.
- If as a result of a cancelled flight you were unable to join the group, you would not be entitled to a refund for the cost of your challenge - so travel insurance is essential.
I want to book a ground only challenge – what do I do?
If you haven’t registered for your challenge yet, call us on 01244 676 454 and we can tell you the ground only costs for your challenge. If you have already booked, please contact our Customer Care team – if we haven’t already booked flights for your group, we may be able to switch your booking to ground only.
Ready to book your next adventure?return to adventure journal